Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Beer and Cheese Night with Vagabond Cheese and El Segundo Brewery


I work in the specialty food/cheese industry and do my best to attend cheese events to further enhance my knowledge of the subject. During the weekend, Vagabond cheese hosted a cheese pairing event at El Segundo Brewing Company. A flight of cheeses were selected and served alongside complementary brews.

Two of the most interesting cheeses of the night were Ogleshield and Ol Sciur. This was my first time tasting either of these cheeses, so I was ecstatic to be introduced to something new! Ogleshield is an alpine style cheese made not from the alps of Switzerland or  France, but in Somerset, England!? It was pretty fantastic with its beefy savoriness, and rich mouth feel. Ol Sciur is a raw goat's milk blue rubbed with mixed berries and rose petals. Say whhatt? I couldn't believe it either! I enjoyed the sweet aroma, and the fruity flavor juxtaposed with the light peppery blue bite. A little bit dried fruit, nuts and  bergamot marmalade from Blue Chair Fruit Co. completed the cheese plate. 
What a delicious night of cheese and beer!


2 comments: